Thursday, February 3, 2011

Feb. 3rd

Hi everyone,

On Friday I went to the large market in Central Accra. It was really crazy and a lot of people selling everything on the streets at the market. If any of you have watched Amazing Race this was the market people had to sell sunglasses at last season. People were selling everything from fish that was smelly with lots of flies as well as caged chickens and birds that were being used for food and many other craft goods. Everyone there calls you obruni which means white person as well as making lip smacking noises to get your attention. I also had a couple of women and a man grab my butt to get my attention which was awkward but really funny to me.  
At the market the others girls and I bought tons of African fabrics in all sorts of colors and prints. It was only 2 cedis a yard which is really cheap. I bought 12 yards of fabric which will allow me to make 3 full size dresses. I will most likely make some skirts and a dress with the fabric I purchased. In Ghana there is a big industry for seamstress to make dresses. I am meeting with a seamstress tomorrow. She will sketch out the designs I want and make clothes for me which will be really exciting. 

One thing I keep seeing while I am here are these little lizards with bright orange heads. They make these creepy hissing sounds and are always hiding in the grasses or on walls when I am walking to school. They keep jumping out at me while I am walking and really freak me out.  I also see these black birds with white bellies that are really pretty and make a really cool howling noise. I also see a lot of roosters and chickens as well as goats all over Accra which is super fun.

This weekend Saturday-Sunday we are going to the Cape Coast. The Cape Coast has the slave castles which will be really interesting to see as well. I am also going to Jamestown next week with my Atlantic Slave Trade class to learn about the formation and the beginning of slaves in captivity in Ghana which will be such a unique and educational experience for me especially with my interest in African American History. 

I am also as part of the Cape Coast weekend going to a section of rain forest in Ghana as well as to some of the waterfalls in Ghana. We are going to Kakum National Park which is full of exotic animals and which is so exciting to finally see some African animals. What is really cool about this park is that there is a  canopy walkway which is  a series of walkways of varying lengths suspended from the trees 40-45 feet above the forest floor which makes you feel like you are in a jungle of some sort. If you have seen any pictures of Ghana this is the long suspension bridge. We are also going to Hans Cottage Restaurant which is built on stilts in a lake with crocodiles which will be really fun as well. I hope to be able to blog and post pictures after this weekend.


 My computer freaked out this last week which has allowed me to only write on my blog on campus which is difficult to access the websites. If anyone would like to talk to me via email it is easier on Amy.Campbell @ashesi.edu.gh while I am here in Ghana. 

No comments:

Post a Comment