Monday, January 24, 2011

Monday Jan 24

The internet is so slow! Everyone in Ghana buys a internet modem which is a usb jump drive that picks up cell reception. It is so frustrating because it takes forever to load a page on the internet and then doesn't wan to post anything are send messages to anyone when I am in IM chat with them.

Yesterday I went to our resident directors house for dinner. All 8 CIEE students went and it was a 40 minute drive from where I am staying. It was really fun and his wife cooked us alot of Ghanian food. I loved it! She made jollof rice and plantains which are my food of substance in Ghana. We also watched some Ghanian films which were super interesting the one we watched started off as a comedy and ended as a drama. It was like 3 movies in 1.

I feel like I am getting into the grove of things a little more. My roomate finally moved in which is good so I can finally move all of stuff around and finally get situated. I have met some really great friends in Ghana and my apartment mates have been so helpful in helping me get fimilar with the area. The one thing in Ghana that makes me laugh more then anything is the amount of young people who watch twilight and Vampire diaries. Everyone at Ashesi has seen it knows all about it ansd knew washington state from the movie.

Cooking dinner for myself has been quite a challenge. There is no stove in our apartment and the the stove requires you to light a match over the burner which sparks sometimes. I have just been eating alot of bread and fruit. I have been buying pineapple in Ghana and it is so good! It is only 1 cedi (which is cheap!)

I have posted some pictures of around my apartment so you can see some the things that i see while I am here. Most of them are pictures around the area but there is also a picture of some ghanian cedis so you can see what the money looks like.




No comments:

Post a Comment