Friday, January 21, 2011

One week in Ghana

Hello Everyone

Getting the Internet finally set up took such a long time! Well I have been in Ghana for one week and it has already been a earth shattering experience. Every morning people in Ghana wake up with the sun which is 5 am. They are in their homes by 6-7 pm because that is when the sun comes down. This has been a definite switch. Every morning  I wake up to roosters that are outside as well as a church which is right across the street from my apartment. The church blares music in the morning.

I am constantly surprised between the division of wealth in Accra, Ghana. There are many people who drive very expensive and imported vehicles. while others are living in very poor and unhealthy conditions. The students at Ashesi University are the very wealthy and come from very rich families. All of my suite mates have very nice phones and computers.

I live in an area called Danquah Circle and I am across the street from Oxford Street which had alot of street sellers and stores that I can buy things down. Shopping in Ghana is so different! Everything you need is not just in one store like in a Walmart or Target you my have to search all over town to find pens or paper.

I am taking African Literature, Music and Dance of West Africa, A course of the Atlantic Slave Trade and Pre-Calculus. My Africana classes are interesting because the other international students are the courses but my math class I am the only one who is not African in a class of 60. I stand out like a sore thumb and students in the class treat me differently even though they are wearing very expensive clothing and jewelery.

Walking down the street being a white girl has been an awkward and funny experience. Today me and my friend Cara were walking back to the apartment and a group Ghanaian men were playing football. They all stopped there game to say hello to her and I. When I walk down the street many men also stop to tell me and the other international students how beautiful we are which is really uncomfortable for me.

My apartment mates are so great and are so helpful. They are really nice and help me understand Ghana's culture. They are also so interested in the culture of the United States.It is so funny to me though when I am here and all I hear is American R and B music or American country music.

Being on my own for meals everyday is a challenge but I am finding things I like which is good my favorite things so far is oranges in Ghana and there is a different way you have to eat them by squeezing them in your mouth also fan ice which is like a milkshake in a pre-packaged bag it is so good!

I have been trying to upload pictures so I will try again tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment